Saturday 8 May 2010

From Oporto to Lisboa by train

Once arrived inn Portugal at Oporto airport, I quickly grabbed my bag from the carrousel soonest it appeared, and I strabbed it to my back. Just as I looked around me to see where the exit was, I saw that I was the last one to leave the bagage area. I realised in a
complete different way what the impact is of handlugage-only travelers...with some people carrying whole suitcases aboard.

In meanwhile the clock was already pointing 0.00 hours, when I was trying to find the metro station to the city. I found a tourist
office so I thought to grab a map of porto. There was this hostel in
Oporto where I stayed before and wanted to stay again but for one night
since I arrived at 23.45, I didnt expect to be able to get any
connection to Lisboa so late. At the tourist information, there were two other backpackers asking
for information and the lady from the information office just
explained that there was stil one train leaving at 1.30am. I decided
to take that train Lisboa so I took the metro to the trainstation,
which the lady pointed out on the map, and I bought myself the train
ticket.
I still had more than an hour before the train was leaving so I
decided to walk a little around. Still 30 minutes before departure, I
arrived back at the station, finding that it was completely closed! I
was walking around to find the entrance but all doors were closed and
locked.
Some taxi drivers talking with eachother told me the station was
closed, no more trains. I didn't believe them since I just bought the
ticket from the machine showing the time of the train etc. It appeard
the lady at the airport from the tourist office guided us to the wrong
train station!

Luckily I still had 30 minutes so one of the drivers bright me to the
right train station. With 15 minutes left I bought some water and
something to eat and found myself a nice seat at the window of the
6chairs comby.

Oh by the way, the train ticket machine told me we should arrive in
Lisboa after 4.5 hours driving! That makes it 6.00h in the morning! I
find this a good time to arrive in a city though.
Still at platform I had a look at the electronic sign announcing our
train. I started counting the trainstops in between of this night trip
to Lisboa. Only 39 stops to go!

This assured me a nice and train trip on this local stop service
halfway through the country :)

Sleep well.

2 comments:

  1. taking pictures of trains? LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! haha
    I took that picture for you!!
    I thought about you when taking it haha, I´m glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?