Saturday 6 March 2010

First flight booked

Gran Canaria!! The Spanish islands are my first destination.

I have decided to go to Gran Canaria first, to visit Marta & Andre, friends I met in Manchester. I am glad they are happy with my decision as you see on the photo. This morning I booked the flight to Las Palmas for a fairly good price. Flights to Gran Canaria, with it's warm temperature all year round, tend to be sold quickly so I grabbed the chance straight away.

This is the first step in my trip so I have a date to start my trip around the world: the 27th of April.
I am still puzzling around with the directions in Europe because not all the connections fit in well. From Gibraltar and Morocco, from where I was planning to fly to Gran Canaria, there are no direct or cheap flights so a small change in the route made my first destination confirmed and booked this morning.

From Gran Canaria I am not sure yet where to go next. André might join me to for a short trip in north west Africa, before I head off to Spain, France and Italy. And after Italy? Who knows....Will I go to the hot and steaming middle east via Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Georgia and Turkmenistan first? Or should I make use of the warm months to cross all of Europe to go through Russia first? By The time I get to Moscow the summer will probably be cooling down already while there is a long long way to get through Russia before ending up at the border of China.

I think I wll do the Trans-Siberia express at the very end, to get back home from Japan and North Korea.

Click here to see the full route on google maps

2 comments:

  1. Well done, mate! As you probably know, return flights are NOT allowed on a round-the-world journey. Some suggestions for your next stop:

    1) Madeira or the Azores
    2) Cape Verde
    3) Senegal
    4) Morocco
    5) Mauritania
    6) Western Sahara
    7) Miami (nonstop flights from Tenerife)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, useful to know, not to do a return on the RTW ticket.
    I think I will start using the round-the-world ticket when flying to Australia, or, if I find a reasonable flight from Malaysia to Australia, I might start using it to New Zealand, or to Afrika.

    You want me to go to Miami from Gran Canaria?? :) Wow you make a mess of my route! haha!!

    I'm going to do some research on the other options, thanks! Do you know already if you're joining any of these??? :)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?